Finnish startup environment
Join the coolest startup hub in the world
Finland offers a vibrant and friendly startup ecosystem with accelerators, angel investors, VCs and strong innovation support by the government. The capital Helsinki ranks number one in the world in local connectedness among founders, investors and experts.
Take a look at Finnish startup companies
Nordic region is the fastest growing startup region in Europe and one of the fastest in the world. One of the engines behind the growth of the Finnish startup scene has been the hugely successful gaming and software industry led by companies like Supercell and Rovio. Today, startups' business areas range from gaming, software, ICT and digital services to health tech, environmental and energy industries.
Startups in Finland open data storehouse
Browse Finnish startup companies by industry, turnover, founding year and region. The database provided by Business Finland offers a comprehensive overview of the Finnish startup scene.
A monthly list of hottest startups in Finland based on their online visibility.
Startups selected to Business Finland's Young Innovative Company program
Most ambitious and promising startups in Finland can apply to Business Finland's Young Innovative Company program.
Facts and figures
An evaluation published by the Ministry of Employment and the Economy estimates that around
- 4,000 startup companies begin operating in Finland each year.
- There are around 300–400 "growth startups", which have grown significantly over a three-year period.
Business Finland works with the very new and the best of the best startup companies in Finland.
- In 2017 Business Finland provided innovation funding for 820 Finnish startup companies.
Finnish capital Helsinki's start-up scene ranks #1 in the world in local connectedness among founders, investors and experts.
- Helsinki and its surroundings is a home for over 500 tech startups in Helsinki.
Private investments into Finnish startups
Statistics collected by Finnish Business Angels Network ry (FiBAN) and Finnish Venture Capital Association ry (FVCA) show that in 2018
- Finnish startups and early stage growth companies raised the highest amount of funding to date, as the total financing figure raised hit 479 million euros.
The trend of foreign investors actively investing in Finnish startups and early-stage growth companies continued developing positively.
- Finnish companies were able to attract a fresh record-high figure of 208M€ in foreign financing.
- The number of foreign investments has increased tenfold since 2010.