Skip to content

Wish to work in Finland?

Permits for entrepreneurs and employees depend on whether the person is from or resides in another Nordic country, an EU country or comes from outside the EU.

Citizens of the Nordic countries (Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Iceland) may freely enter Finland and reside in the country without a residence permit. They can also take up paid employment without a residence permit for an employed person.

EU citizens and citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland have the right to enter, reside, study, seek work, or practice a profession in Finland for three months without a residence permit. If the stay lasts longer than that, they must register their right to reside in Finland at a police department.

Persons from outside EU Area require a work permit and residence permit. There are several categories depending on job grade and status. Highly skilled professionals with job offer in Finland can apply for a specialist permit. For startup entrepreneurs there is a two step process, starting with a business plan evaluation leading to startup permit, which qualifies for personal work and residence permit application.

Persons residing outside the European Economic Area (EEA) may also need a permit from the National Board of Patents and Registration to serve in a managerial position or to carry out other duties of responsibility in a businesses.

Further details and instructions are available at and the online application