Skip to content

Prepare the commercialization of your research results and their development into new business

Research to Business funding is intended for public research organizations for projects in which research groups and researchers aim to develop their research into new business and to commercialize their research results.

Research to Business funding

With Research to Business funding, public research organizations can prepare the commercialization of research-driven product or service ideas and conduct applied research that supports commercialization. The project's main goal is the preparation of commercialization. At the same time, researchers can increase their commercialization skills.

Funding is granted for research organizations, not for individual researchers or groups of researchers. An organization whose main purpose is to independently engage in basic research, industrial research or experimental development is regarded as a research organization (e.g., universities and research institutions).

Research to Business
  • We can grant funding for 70% of total approved project costs, with the research organization covering the remaining 30%.
  • Typically, Research to Business projects range from EUR 300,000 to EUR 700,000.
  • The duration of Research to Business projects is one to two years.
  • Research funding calls are held twice a year: in the spring and in the fall.

The Research to Business service provides not only funding, but also networking opportunities with investors and other teams receiving Research to Business funding to support the preparation of commercialization. Examples include the annual Science Startup Day event and the DealFlow service.

See instructions for applying

See the application page for more detailed information

How does Business Finland funding work?

Before you apply

Plan a project and define its goals. Ensure the sufficiency of self-financing.

Apply for funding

Submit your application through online services. Submit the additional information requested.

Approve the funding decision

Business Finland will assess your application and notify you of its decision. Read the decision and its terms and conditions, and approve the decision in online services.

Use the funding

Arrange project accounting. Notify Business Finland of any changes.

Report your project

Report your project's implementation and costs. Attach the additional information requested with your report.


Research and knowledge-dissemination organisation means an entity (such as universities or research institutes, technology transfer agencies, innovation intermediaries, research-oriented physical or virtual collaborative entities), irrespective of its legal status (organised under public or private law) or way of financing, whose primary goal is to independently conduct fundamental research, industrial research or experimental development or to widely disseminate the results of such activities by way of teaching, publication or knowledge transfer.

Where such entity also pursues economic activities the financing, the costs and the revenues of those economic activities must be accounted for separately. Undertakings that can exert a decisive influence upon such an entity, in the quality of, for example, shareholders or members, may not enjoy preferential access to the results generated by it.