Please contact Business Finland when planning to apply for production incentive. A brief summary of the production, sent beforehand, would contribute to the discussion. An application can only be made when at least 60% of the funding is confirmed and you can submit all the required documents (see Applications Documents) as an attachment to the application.
The project to be funded in 2020 must be completed by June 30, 2022. The final report must be submitted by 30.10.2022. No extension can be granted for the project or the submission of the final report.
Finnish funding applicant
Apply for the funding via Business Finland's online services.
- If there is no Finnish co-producer in production, foreign applicants must use a Finnish production coordinator company.
- The foreign recipient and coordinator enter into a detailed agreement, which also includes agreeing on the terms of payment and payment schedules. It is recommended that those tasks that are authorized to coordinator to manage are indicated in the agreement. Make sure that the production coordinator company is authorized to take care of funding issues with Business Finland.
- A Finnish production coordinator company with a business ID will fill in the application on behalf of the foreign company at the Business Finland online service.
- The coordinator will procure services for the foreign recipient, pay the invoices and charge the recipient for their expenses and the coordinators own fee.
- The coordinator keeps an itemized record of all expenses
Minimum requirements for funding
- The overall production budget and spend created in Finland must meet the minimum amounts shown in the table above.
- At least 20% of funding for the overall production budget must come from outside Finland; from a foreign agent, distributor, co-producer or other private sector funder.
- The financing plan must identify all sources of funding, sums and percentage of the total production budget.
- Funding from an organization controlled by a Finnish company or owner is not considered to be foreign.
- For special reasons, financing from the Finnish independent venture capital companies may exceptionally be accepted for the above mentioned share of 20 %. (concerns to applications from 2020 onwards)
- The production must form an artistic whole that is based on cultural values (Government Decree on the payment of compensation for audiovisual productions).
- A distribution agreement for at least one platform or one territory.
- Participation in the production by a Finnish co-producer who is entitled to intellectual property rights for the completed production or participation of a Finnish production coordinator company in the production.
- The production depicts Finnish locations such as landscapes or architecture, or the production involves the use of Finnish artistic or other creative expertise, such as:
- Production design
- Storyboard design
- Visual effects
- Colour grading
- Animation character/layout design
- Composing/music/sound design
- Product design/costume
Finnish funding beneficiary reports the interim and final report via Business Finland's Online Service
- A content report on the progress of the production.
- A cost statement on the costs allocated to the production, a cost breakdown drawn up in specified form and an auditor's report by an independent Finnish auditor must be attached to the cost statement.
Foreign beneficiary reports using a specific template
- A Finnish production coordinator company maintains the project accounts and cost breakdown.
- An auditor inspects the coordinator's accounts.
- The coordinator delivers receipts for the reporting period and the cost statement to the foreign recipient, who pays the coordinator's invoice.
- The foreign beneficiary draws up a report and cost statement for Business Finland. The cost statement includes cost breakdown provided by the coordinator and the auditor's report. The production coordinator company sends the report with attachements by secured email.
- Business Finland will pay the incentive to the foreign recipient provided that the report, cost statement, cost breakdown, and auditor's report have been submitted to Business Finland by the deadline.
Projects and marketing
Companies funded in 2020
Atmo Media Network Ab
Dual Production LLC
Fisher King Oy
Gigglebug Entertainment Oy
Gutsy Animations Oy
Nickelodeon Animation Studios Inc
Solar Films Inc Oy
Tekele Productions Oy
Third Day LLC
Under The Ice Lrd
Yellow Film & TV Oy
Zodiak Finland Oy
Companies funded in 2017-2019
Check the list.
Articles about Audiovisual Production Incentive
Variety I (29.10.2018)
Variety II (29.10.2018)
Variety III (29.10.2018)
The Standard (16.3.2018)
Audiovisual Production Incentive showreel
Health and Safety Guidelines to be followed by audiovisual productions during the COVID-19 pandemic
Information on the Finnish film industry: Finnish Film Foundation
Information on production services and filming in Finland
Information on visas and work permits
Mid-term review of Audiovisual Production Incentive (2020)
Mid-term review of Audiovisual Production Incentive (2018)
Finnish Lapland Film Commission Production Guide
Green Film Shooting
Filming Europe Green Filming
The UN member states agreed in 2015 on Global Agenda in order to enhance sustainable development during 2016-2030. Finland has been one of the forerunners in implementing the agenda.
Business Finland encourages companies to execute productions in a sustainable way, taking care of environment, economy and people equally. We gather information of production practices relating to sustainability in final report. Information is used in the development of the funding service. More information of Agenda 2030 in Finland.
Examples and links of Business Finland’s activities and programmes that enhance the sustainable development:
1. Blog for Sustainable Development Goals
2. BEAM - Business with Impact
3. Bio and Circular
4. Sustainable Travel Finland
5. Sustainable Manufacturing
6. All Business Finland Programs
Other sustainable development -links:
Green Film Shooting
Filming Europe Green Filming
Ekosetti - A Guidebook to Sustainable Production in Finland